Yanire’s chosen material for her ceramics are clay slabs. The frisson of creative excitement which comes from the interplay between her intention and clay as it is cut, shaped, dried and fired are what inspires her. When these forms are combined with colours suggestive of nature and ceramic history, the result is a piece that is both rustic and elegant.
My pieces strive to express the beauty that comes from imperfect symmetry found in the natural world. For example, the beauty that comes about because humans are not geometrically perfect, fascinates me. Traces left by my fingers as I work on these objects are something I like to preserve. In some of my work I use embroidery to leave a trace – reminders of maternal and homemaking influences that I have grown up with. I conceive them as peaceful and harmonious objects, infused with values that I am drawn too. There is something very primitive about ceramics, the ability of creating a utensil out of earth is strong and poetic.
Yanire Sylva Delgado is an Ecuadorian Artist settled in London. She studied Printmaking in Madrid, worked as a University Lecturer in Ecuador, and has an MA in Arts, Book and Design from Essex University. Her latest passion is Ceramics which she currently practices from her workshop at Mitre Studios Walthamstow. She is a member of the Pottery Association and the Blackhorse Workshop.
- 2019 Group Exhibition, “Reading Between the Limes” at The Window Gallery - UK
- 2018 Group Exhibition, “The Silk Road” at Winns Gallery, Hall of Masks - UK
- 2018 Group Exhibition, “4 Women in Aquelarre” at Winns Gallery, Burial Projects - UK
- 2017 Group Exhibition, Makers Movement at Sideshow E17, Many Faces Hall of Masks - UK
- 2017 Group Exhibition, E17 Designers, The Walthamstow Village Window Gallery - UK
- 2016 Group Exhibition with Claire Toomey, The William Morris Gallery - UK
- 2014 Group Exhibition, 2 Printers, The Art Cafe, London, UK (curated by Bob Dawson)
- 2014 E17 Art Trail, Guayaquil and Squatters, The Ye Old Rose and Crown, Walthamstow, UK
- 2014 Solo Exhibition, Guayaquil and Squatters, The Doodle Bar, London, UK
- 2013 Group Exhibition, The Books Mark, Walthamstow, UK (curated by Kirsten Schmidt)
- 2013 Group Exhibition, The Art of Handwriting, Touring Exhibition by CMR Gallery and Art Catcher, The Hale End Library, Chingford, UK (curated by Katja Rosenberg)
- 2013 Group Exhibition, Tanglewoods Tales, Walden Studio, Walthamstow, UK (curated by Spyke Ludd 2012 Artist in Residence in Walterio Paez Printmaking Workshop, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 2011 Group Exhibition, The Minories Gallery, Colchester (curated by David Jury)
- 2011 Solo Exhibition, Proyecto Enterramientos, E17 Art Trail at Ruby Stables, Walthamstow, UK